Here are a few little tips to keep you safe over the Christmas period,
- Buy reputable Christmas tree lights with the British Safety Standard label. Turn them off and unplug them before you leave them unattended, go out, or go to bed. Make sure the bulbs are not touching anything and replace them when they blow.
- Check on the box that you are using the right type of fuse.
- Consider switching to LED lights, which are cooler and greener.
- Take care around open fires in case clothes catch on fire; avoid putting Christmas cards around the fireplace.
- If you have a real Christmas tree, buy it as fresh as possible — test by banging it on the ground. Cut a slice off the bottom and water it every day. Dispose of it within two weeks, or when it dries out. A tree fire can engulf a room in a matter of seconds.
- If you have an artificial tree, make sure it has a flame retardant label.
- Make sure the tree cannot topple over; use a non-tip base with wide feet.
- Plug all outdoor electrical decorations into a circuit breaker.
- Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are in working condition, and practise a fire evacuation plan.
- Plug tree lights into an overloaded socket.
- Use lighted candles as decorations.
- Place your tree too close to a drying heat source such as a heater, fireplace, or candles, or block doorways or exits with it.
- Use electric lights on metal artificial trees.
- Put candles near the Christmas tree or flammable materials.
- Leave candles unattended or near children.
- Put paper or card Christmas decorations on lights or heaters.
- Leave that turkey on its own in the kitchen.